Bird Problems in Food Processing Facilities
Many bird enthusiasts go to great lengths to attract the winged creatures to their property using bird baths, feeders, seeds and nectar. Some people even bird watch as a hobby. For food processing facilities, however, most birds are not desirable because of contaminations or other issues.
Birds can quickly become pests once inside buildings, causing many different problems and specific issues for those where food and beverage products are manufactured.
For example, birds can:
- Carry pathogens that can cause disease
- Possibly be infested with bird lice
- Have nesting that may be infested with bird mites
- Damage property and contaminate products in production, storage or shipping areas
- Compromise a facility’s cleanliness and hygiene
- Leave unsanitary droppings that may create slip-and-fall hazards and that can damage paint
- Cause ongoing costs for cleaning, repair and maintenance
- Be distracting to employees as they swoop and make noise
- Tarnish a facility’s image and reputation
- Cause food safety violations
Bye, Bye Birdie
Different species of birds can pose problems for food processing facilities, depending on the location, but common offenders include:
If you notice birds in your facility, it’s important to act quickly to determine how they got inside. To help prevent birds from entering and becoming a problem, here are some bird-proofing tips:
- Keep doors and windows closed as much as possible.
- Properly seal cracks, gaps and holes in the structure.
- Have a professional inspect the roof for any potential entry points and make necessary repairs.
- Look outside your facility for any nearby nests or roosting areas where birds could be waiting to enter.
- Remove any food or water sources.
- Keep trash covered and emptied as often as possible. Pick up any garbage or trash that’s fallen around containers.
Don’t Wing It Alone
Because bird problems can cause serious issues for food processing plants, including potential operational disruptions, it’s important to seek help from a commercial pest control company with experience in treating bird invasions. Terminix® Commercial has proven strategies for solving bird problems and helping keep birds away. In fact, Terminix Commercial technicians undergo protocol training and have knowledge of the local bird species that can undermine your business.
Terminix Commercial understands birds and matches their behavior with proper deterrent:
Control gel – An effective treatment for smaller birds, this gel helps repel birds because they likely won’t want to perch. Waterproof, almost colorless and odorless, the gel is effective, even in high temperatures.
Wire barrier – By creating an unstable surface, wire barriers help keep birds from landing on ledges. This post and wire system is ideal for areas where aesthetics are a concern.
Spikes – Using a system of stainless steel or polycarbonate spikes, this treatment helps prevent nuisance birds from landing or resting on building ledges and signs. The spikes are flexible enough to fit any contour and are virtually invisible.
Jolt Track – This low-profile treatment helps keep birds off ledges with a harmless electrical jolt (similar to a static electricity shock) when birds land on the track.
Other - There are other options that Terminix Commercial may use as well, like bird netting, bird hazers, Agrilaser® and various visual and audio deterrents.
Don’t stand by and let birds peck away at your profits and productivity. Terminix Commercial can help you with bird problems, as well as other pest control procedures in the food industry. Start with a free estimate and watch your bird and pest problems fly away.