1.877.837.6464

What is Mouse Poison?

What is Mouse Poison? If you’re looking to get rid of mice, poison can be a good option when used properly. Unfortunately, mouse poison can also pose some danger and has other drawbacks. Here are the answers to some frequently asked questions about poison for mice, and why it’s best that you consult a pest management professional before using any type of treatment.

What is mouse poison?

There are many different types of poisons that pest management professionals use to control pest populations. Poisons that are used to kill rodents, such as mice, are called rodenticides. The treatments should always be put in place by a service technician to minimize the risk of exposure for children and pets.

How does mouse poison work?

There are different types of poisons for mice. They all work in a similar manner, providing attraction bait for the mouse, who nibbles on the poison thinking it’s eating regular food. These baits are often made up of cereal grains, peanut butter and other foods mice find attractive. Baits typically come in cake or pellet form, and are housed by a plastic tray or bag that is easy for the mouse to chew through. The most popular type of rodenticide is called an anticoagulant. This prevents the mouse’s blood from clotting, causing internal bleeding that eventually kills the rodent. Other types of mouse poison include vacor, yellow phosphorus, strychnine and arsenic.

Does mouse poison work in every situation?

Rodenticides typically only kill about half of the mouse population. In some cases, the mice have to eat the poison numerous times for it to have an effect. For these reasons, poisoned baits should only be used as a supplement to mouse traps and ‟building rodents out” of homes. Sanitation is also key to mouse control, and if trapping, ‟building out” and sanitation are all performed properly, baits might not even be part of the equation. If necessary, a pest management technician should always handle and apply all forms of poisoned mouse bait.

What are the dangers associated with poison for mice?

It’s not only children and pets that can be seriously harmed if they ingest mouse poison, it’s any person or animal. Fortunately, most adults have the good sense not to ingest anything labeled as ‟dangerous,” but accidents do happen. For these reasons, it’s highly recommended that any rodenticide used not only be registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, but that it is placed by a pest management specialist, and that all label instructions are followed to the letter.

Do not take the use of any type of poison in your home lightly. It can cause serious harm to you and your loved ones when not applied correctly. That’s why going with a pest management professional that knows how to use mouse poison properly is your best course of action, every single time. Call Terminix® today to find out how to help keep your family safe and rodent-free.