Providing a Safe Environment for Learning
For optimum learning, it’s important that students feel safe in their school setting.
A safe environment helps students concentrate better and can allow teachers to focus on the curriculum, instead of classroom distractions and interruptions that an unsafe environment can cause. When students and faculty feel safe and secure, educational opportunities can be enhanced.
Of course, there are many factors that contribute to a school’s physical safety. One of the key factors that can help students, teachers and school administrators feel safe is an effective pest control program.
In a school, pests can be disruptive, destructive and some can even pose potential health and safety threats. For example:
- Rodents, flies, mosquitoes and birds can carry pathogens that may cause disease.
- Cockroaches can trigger allergic reactions, as well as spread bacteria, including E. coli and Salmonella.
- Termites can cause extensive, expensive structural damage to buildings.
- Bed bugs can hitchhike into schools on people’s belongings and can feed on their blood, causing bites and possible allergic reactions.
Learning About Pests and How To Control Them
Schools can provide many attractive places for undesirable pests to feed and breed, including:
- Athletic fields
And with so many people entering and leaving schools each day, pests have ample opportunity to find ways into school facilities through open doors and deliveries.
It’s hard for anyone – students, teachers, administrators, or parents -- to feel safe when any of these pests invade school. That’s why having a commercial pest control partner experienced in serving educational environments is so important. Terminix® Commercial specialists know how to identify pest threats in schools and how to recognize the structural and sanitation conditions that contribute to infestations, as well as how to remove the risks. They are also familiar with federal agency guidelines and health codes to help maintain compliance in regards to pest control. In addition, real-time updates and convenient online account management make reporting easy.
Terminix Commercial understands the importance of maintaining school schedules and calendars. With 90 years of experience helping protect public buildings and educational properties, the company’s trained specialists know how to customize treatments for specific situations and optimal benefits.
Terminix Commercial also employs Integrated Pest Management (IPM), which the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) recommends for school pest control programs. IPM addresses the reasons why pests may be present before treating properties, The Terminix Commercial IPM program includes:
- Inspections of the school’s interior and exterior
- Identification of pests found in the school and an analysis of activity
- Treatment of affected school areas and implementation of methods for controlling pests
- Recommendations for helping limit and prevent pest activity in the school
- Continuous evaluation of treatment effectiveness and any necessary modifications
- Education of school staff, if needed, to address actions and conditions that may affect pest activity
The EPA actively supports the implementation of IPM programs like this one in schools nationwide through a variety of initiatives, including:
- Information on how to increase the effectiveness of IPM programs in schools
- Webinars from the EPA Center of Expertise on School IPM
- A grant program, offered as funds are available, to promote the implementation of IPM in schools
- School IPM recognition and certification that includes an incentive-based awards program
Help ensure your school’s classrooms offer the best learning environment for students by helping keep them safe from pest infestations. Don’t let pests pass at your school. When the bell rings, let your teachers focus on keeping students engaged while Terminix Commercial focuses on keeping pests out.