YOU’LL REST EASY.
HOW OUR BED BUG SOLUTIONS WORK:
- A Terminix technician performs an extensive inspection of your home, including beds, furniture and linens.
- Terminix removes visible bed bugs and treats the area to eliminate any hidden bed bugs and their eggs.
- Terminix backs the work with our Bed Bug Guarantee.
CALL OR FILL OUT THE ONLINE FORM TO SCHEDULE A FREE INSPECTION TODAY.
KNOW THE ENEMY: BED BUGS
Have you been searching for how to get rid of bed bugs? Once an afterthought, these pests have made quite the resurgence recently. The more you know about bed bugs, the better your chances of avoiding them.
BED BUG BASICS
This pest gets its name from the fact that it is usually found in close proximity to beds. That’s because bed bugs need the blood of warm-blooded animals to survive.
Unfortunately, bed bugs can mature in about 35 days. They then live about seven to 12 months. This makes bed bug removal difficult to do without the help of a professional.
THE BED BUG BITE
Bed bugs primarily feed on humans sleeping in bed at night. The bite is painless, and the blood meal takes about 10 minutes.
BED BUGS ON THE HUNT
How do bed bugs find hosts while they are asleep? Body heat, the carbon dioxide from exhaled breath and other biological signatures help focus the bed bugs on unsuspecting, snoozing hosts.
The bed bug feeds, then retreats back to its place of harborage for days or even weeks before coming back out. This can make detection difficult until the infestation is well established.
BED BUGS ON THE MOVE
Bed bugs are skilled hitchhikers. In fact, they are primarily transported by humans and human belongings like suitcases.
KEEPING YOUR EYES OPEN FOR BED BUGS
The smaller the infestation, the easier bed bug extermination is to conduct. That’s why it’s important to spot any possible infestation as early as possible.
SIGNS OF BED BUGS
Bed bugs are good at hiding, but not good at hiding evidence. The careless clues they leave are the best indicator your room is overrun with bed bugs. The clues to look for include:
- Shed bed bug skins, exoskeletons or shells
- Fecal stains on your mattress and bedding
- Blood stains on your sheets and pajamas
WHERE TO LOOK
Proper bed bug control requires a watchful eye. To feed on humans, bed bugs want close proximity to the host.
In the bedroom, box springs, headboards and bed framing are favorite spots for these pests. They may also settle into furniture and fixtures that are close to a bed.
Bedrooms are not the only place where bed bugs can be a concern. The feeding doesn’t have to be at night. All bed bugs are looking for are human hosts inactive long enough to provide a meal.
Getting rid of bed bugs is difficult. Any place that humans sit, rest or sleep can be a place that bed bugs are introduced or feed.
Sitting for two hours in a movie theater makes you a target. A favorite recliner in the living room can also make you a target. You can also become a target taking a taxi across town.
SIGNS OF BED BUG BITES
Bed bug bite reactions in skin look similar to those caused by fleas and mosquitoes. Telling which insect caused a bite might not be possible.
Look for these signs of symptoms of a bed bug bite:
- Raised, red welts
- Burning and itching
- Bed bug bite rash across a localized area
- Straight lines of multiple bites
PUT BED BUG WORRIES TO REST
WHEN YOU TRAVEL
Bed bugs have an uncanny ability to spread using unsuspecting people and their belongings as carriers.
Following the steps below will help minimize the chances of you running into bed bugs. More importantly, it will help you minimize the chances of you bringing some home with you.
- First, check travel reviews before visiting a hotel, and be careful of those with multiple reports of bed bugs.
- When you check into a hotel, check the mattress, headboard, bed frame and pictures for any signs of bed bugs.
- Rather than storing luggage on the bed or floor, keep your luggage on the luggage rack.
- Avoid storing clothes in dressers and hang clothes that can be hung.
Still, there’s no guarantee bed bugs won’t sneak into your home some way. If they do, call Terminix. Our effective bed bug removal solutions will get them out. Guaranteed.