Zika Virus Symptoms (Video)
Learn about Zika virus symptoms from Terminix expert Dr. Stan Cope.
Symptoms of the Zika VirusIn the handy video below, Dr. Stan Cope, Terminix International's director of entomology and regulatory services and a renowned mosquito expert, outlines the symptoms of the Zika virus.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), only about one in five people who are bitten by an infected mosquito actually develop symptoms.
Those symptoms may include:
- Body Aches
- Conjunctivitis (pink eye)
The best way to avoid Zika virus infection is to protect yourself from mosquito bites:
- Use an EPA approved repellent with an active ingredient such as DEET (see the CDC website for more information about repellents).
- Treat or remove possible mosquito breeding sources — virtually anything in your yard that will hold a small amount of water. Read more about shutting down mosquito breeding places here.
- When possible, wear long-sleeved and loose clothing.
- Ensure screens on your home are in good repair.
Remember, if you're travelling overseas, mosquito-borne disease is much more common in many countries than it is in the United States, so please be sure to use the precautions we just outlined.
There's still a lot to learn about the Zika virus, so if you have any questions at all about it, please be sure to consult your medical provider.
Click the links below for more information about mosquitoes and Zika:
General Mosquito Information
Get The Facts About The Zika Virus
Why Mosquitoes Bite (video)
7 Easy Ways To Stop Mosquitoes From Breeding In Your Yard
How To Get Rid Of Mosquitoes Inside The House And Out
Why Are Mosquitoes Attracted To Humans?
Mosquito Bites 101