Termites are year-round pests that swarm in the spring. Terminix advises homeowners to have a professional termite inspection annually.
Termites infest 1 in 30 homes each year. The average cost per home for treatments and damage repairs is $8,184 and homeowners’ insurance rarely covers damage.
Termite Prevention Tips from Terminix
- • Repair any roof or plumbing leaks as soon as possible. These leaks can allow termites to survive above ground in a house.
- • Eliminate any wood-to-soil contact around your foundation and remove wood debris near your home.
- • Prevent mulch and soil from touching the siding of your home. They make it much easier for termites to enter.
- • Store firewood away from your home.
- • Use mesh screens on all windows and doors, as well as in ventilation openings for attics and crawl spaces.
- • Seal nail holes and cracks in exposed wood to help prevent easy access by drywood termites.
- • Contract with a professional pest control company to regularly inspect your home. This will help detect termite activity and allow for prompt and proper treatment.
Bedbugs are year-round pests, but an increase in travel during warm-weather months means greater visibility of these irritating critters.
Terminix’s famous Top 15 Most Infested Cities list is released each year at the start of summer travel season to warn travelers about bedbug infestations and offer tips for prevention.
Bedbug Prevention Tips for Travelers
- • Check headboards, mattresses and box springs for bedbugs and the dark blood spots they leave behind.
- • Hang all clothing. Leave nothing lying on the bed or furniture.
- • Avoid unpacking clothing and storing them in the hotel’s furniture drawers.
- • Don’t allow your baggage to sit on the floor. Store it on a luggage rack as far from the bed as possible.
- • If you notice evidence of bedbugs, request another room or change hotels.
- • When returning home, leave luggage in the garage or basement until you are able to thoroughly inspect it for bedbugs.
- • Vacuum suitcases when returning from trips and immediately wash clothing in hot water.
Ants – Ants are the number one nuisance pest in the United States. Ants gain entry to homes through small exterior openings or by scaling bushes next to exterior walls. Ant prevention tips and FAQs
Cockroaches – Cockroaches gain entry into homes when they are carried in on groceries or through small exterior cracks. Cockroaches can have negative impact on human health. Cockroach prevention tips and FAQs
Mosquitoes – Mosquitoes are annoying for most, but can mean deadly diseases for some. Terminix offers prevention tips as well as products to prevent mosquitoes from ruining outdoor activities throughout the spring and summer.
Rodents – Each year rodents invade more than 21 million American homes. In addition to eating the contents of homeowners’ kitchens, these pests are considered fire hazards for their habit of gnawing on electrical wiring. Rodents are also known to carry several diseases.
Box Elder Bugs – Box elder bugs seek warm shelter during the winter inside homes’ walls. Often, they get lost and end up inside homes where they can be a nuisance to homeowners.
Stink Bugs – Stink bugs seek warm spaces to survive winter and once inside, tend to stay. Stink bugs are known for their noxious odor, often released when homeowners try to vacuum them away.
Terminix pest facts
Are you ready to arm your audience with the best pest prevention tips? You’ve reached the right place.
Click below for tip guides, fact sheets and more.
Don’t see what you’re looking for? Contact us for more information, images or to set up a ride-along with a local Terminix pest technician.
AN IRONCLAD GUARANTEE TO RID YOUR HOME OF TERMITES AND PESTS.
The Terminix Ultimate Protection® Guarantee is the strongest in the business. We’re committed to defending your home against pests and termites. Because it’s your house, not theirs. If you’re not 100% satisfied, we’ll give you your money back.