Termite control | know the facts
on Saturday, May 04, 2013 by Terminix
For a homeowner, termite control is of utmost importance. A home is 10x more likely to be damaged by termites than fire, with an average of 1 in 30 homes in the United States infested every year, causing an average of $8,184 in treatment and damage repair costs. To combat these pests and protect your largest investment, your home, it’s important to seek the help of a trusted professional who understands termites.
Believe it or not, termites are actually closely related cockroaches, as they are both classified in the order Blattodea. Termites feed primarily on wood, but also leaf litter, soil, and animal dung, and while they are useful in the recycling of dead wood in forests, they can cause significant damage to homes without sufficient termite control. In North America, two types of termites pose a threat to homes:
Subterranean termites are the most common type of termite and live in colonies underground. They build soil tubes to connect to their wood source and infiltrate the home through cracks in the slab as small as 1/32nd of an inch, or through lumber or foliage near the foundation. Some colonies contain more than a million termites, amplifying the damage they can do to your home.
Formosan termites are a type of subterranean termite that can live underground or above ground. Their colonies are typically larger, so they can cause more damage in a shorter period of time.
Drywood termites live above ground and build colonies inside homes to survive during severe weather. They feed only on dry wood, and do not require contact with the soil; they enter the home through small holes in the wood, and can hollow out structural timbers, attic framing, woodwork and furniture.
What attracts termites?
There are several environmental factors that serve to attract termites, some in which are more prevalent:
- Wood stacked near your home or that have contact with soil providing a plentiful food source
- Plants near the foundation of your home offering a source of water and moisture
- Water and moisture from plumbing leaks, outdoor hoses and drainage
- Cracks and gaps in the foundation walls of your home providing shelter and warmth
How to protect your home
The best termite control is prevention. Homeowners insurance protects against damages from things like fires, storms or burglaries, however, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, both MSN Money and the Termite Institute, most insurance carriers don’t cover damage caused by termite infestations. Because the average infestation costs a homeowner thousands of dollars, termite prevention is crucial. That is why Terminix® offers two different types of termite protection.
- Bait Barrier Plan - Trained technicians strategically place a series of termite bait stations in the ground around your home. Once termites have fed on the bait, they carry the control agent back to the colony nests and share it with other termites. With a bait barrier plan, annual monitoring will continue to protect your home from termite activity, plus you are backed by the Ultimate Protection® Guarantee, the strongest guarantee in the business.
- Termite Coverage Plans* - Terminix offers coverage plans for subterranean termites and drywood termites that provide ongoing protection against any future costs for treatments or damage repairs. The first step is a FREE Termite Inspection to determine if your home is free of termites and termite damage and eligible for coverage. For as long as you keep your plan, you are covered by the Ultimate Protection Guarantee and an annual inspection to confirm your home remains termite free.
Being proactive in termite control can protect your biggest investment: your home. Trust the professionals at Terminix to offer expert advice and superior service, identifying signs of infestation so that they can treat it before the termites cause serious damage. In addition to having the knowledge and the tools to provide the termite control you need, Terminix also has the Ultimate Protection® Guarantee, the strongest guarantee in the business, so that you can proceed with confidence, knowing your home is protected. Visit Terminix.com or call 1.866.766.7628 to learn more or schedule your FREE Termite Inspection.
* Not available in all areas. For information regarding coverage areas call 1.800.TERMINIX (1.800.837.6464).
AN IRONCLAD GUARANTEE TO RID YOUR HOME OF TERMITES AND PESTS.
The Terminix Ultimate Protection® Guarantee is the strongest in the business. We’re committed to defending your home against pests and termites. Because it’s your house, not theirs. If you’re not 100% satisfied, we’ll give you your money back.