What is electronic rodent control?
on Tuesday, June 04, 2013 by Terminix
Electronic rodent control is a popular form of rodent control, which functions without chemicals or traps. This is an appealing concept, especially for homeowners who want to protect their biggest investment—their home—from rodents without endangering children or pets. But do these electronic rodent control devices work?
Are these devices effective?
These devices employ ultrasonic rodent control, utilizing an electrical current that creates a high pitched sound unpleasant to rodents, but inaudible to humans and pets. If the electronic rodent control device is installed before there is an infestation, manufacturers assert that rodents will stay away. However, even proponents of electronic rodent control admit that if the pests are already entrenched, it may take some time for them to leave, particularly if there are young rodents who must mature before the colony moves.
The FTC has a different take on electronic rodent control
The Federal Trade Commission’s Division of Enforcement has warned manufacturers of ultrasonic rodent control devices against making hyperbolic claims unsupported by scientific evidence. Warning that many claims may not be in line with the FTC Act against false and deceptive advertising, the commission has challenged the assertions that these devices eliminate rodent infestations and are an effective alternative to conventional pest control products. In fact, the FTC alleges that the results of electronic rodent control are temporary, because rodents can adapt to ultrasound and resume their nesting and feeding.
Terminix® has the right solutions, and professionals to help you make the right choices
Terminix® doesn’t use ultrasonic pest control because in tests run by entomologists at major universities, it has not been proven effective. Rather, the company provides safe, effective rodent control, applied by professionals. When you call Terminix, a service professional will provide a three-step program.
- The first step in pest control is to look for the sources of infestations in order to apply pest control materials where they will be most effective. Your service professional will select the appropriate control methods for your home’s situation.
- During your home inspection, likely pest harborages next to or near your home are inspected for activity and then treated accordingly. This is an important step because these outdoor hiding spots are the origin of most infestations.
- In the final step, you will be provided with recommendations on how to reduce pests around your home so that fewer can enter your home.
Only Terminix offers the Ultimate Protection® Guarantee, the strongest guarantee in the business. Once you have this protection, you are promised:
- A custom plan to help get pests out and keep them out
- Solutions within 24 hours
- Work continued until you’re satisfied
- 100% satisfaction or your money back*
Once you have a plan in place, you can have confidence knowing that Terminix will remove pests from your home and help keep them out. After the initial infestation has been eliminated, if you see any new signs of infestations a service call will be scheduled at no additional cost to you. To learn more about how Terminix can help you protect your home or to schedule your FREE Pest Evaluation, visit Terminix.com or call 1.866.766.7628 today.
The Ultimate Protection® Guarantee
Only Terminix offers Ultimate Protection®. So whether you need protection from pests or termites, you can rest easy knowing you’re covered by the strongest guarantee in the business, plus 100% satisfaction or your money back*.