Best methods for natural roach control to protect your home
on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 by Terminix
You don’t want to share your living space with cockroaches, and natural roach control includes a number of steps to keep these pests where they belong—outside your home. Discovering these pests inside your home should prompt you to take swift and immediate action for a number of reasons.
These pests also can cause contamination once they’re in your home. Cockroaches are omnivorous scavengers that will eat almost everything a human will—and more. Cockroach food can even include leather, hair, postage stamps and draperies.
Prevention is the best natural roach control
The key to natural roach control is to prevent cockroaches from ever invading your home. Cockroaches need as little as 1/16th of an inch to squeeze into even the cleanest of homes and buildings. A good place to start is by sealing cracks and crevices around the exterior of your home, and close spaces around plumbing and electrical conduits too. Here are some additional preventative measures:
- Wipe up spilled food immediately
- Properly store all foods, including pet food, in plastic, glass or metal containers with tight-fitting lids
- Eliminate cover for cockroaches outdoors, such as firewood piled next to your home, loose stones, bricks and thick groundcover vegetation
- Keep mulch to a depth of about two inches and at least a foot away from your home’s foundation
- Repair worn weather-stripping on doors and mend holes in window screens
- Avoid accidentally transporting cockroaches to your home from the office, school, public transportation, the grocery store or other locations; check your briefcase, luggage and other items before bringing them inside
Why roach control is important
Cockroach populations build quickly once they become established. The German cockroach, for instance, produces 40 or more eggs per egg case, more than two times the number of other species, every six weeks or so. So, if you start with 10 cockroaches, within 6 weeks you could easily have 400 more. And, in another six weeks you could have 16,000 cockroaches. The greater the population, the more difficult it is to control. If you see one cockroach, there could be dozens or hundreds more behind your walls.
Do-it-yourself methods can help, but the best long-term solution is to call in the experts. For more than 85 years, Terminix® has provided guaranteed protection against 27 of the worst kinds of pests, including cockroaches. A FREE Pest Evaluation will determine what type of cockroach has invaded your home, and your trained technician will then recommend the best treatment to rid your home of these pests.
The Pest Control Plan includes:
- We start with an evaluation to develop a customized plan.
- An initial service inside the home gets to the pests you see and the pests you don’t.
- The exterior of your home is treated to help prevent new home invasions.
- Regular services create a perimeter around your home that helps keep pests out.
And Terminix backs this plan with a 100% satisfaction guarantee*. Only Terminix offers the Ultimate Protection® Guarantee—the strongest guarantee in the business. If you suspect cockroaches are posing a threat to your home, call Terminix at 1.866.766.7628 or visit them online at Terminix.com to get a FREE Pest Evaluation.
The Ultimate Protection® Guarantee
Only Terminix offers Ultimate Protection®. So whether you need protection from pests or termites, you can rest easy knowing you’re covered by the strongest guarantee in the business, plus 100% satisfaction or your money back*.