Blog Posts for pest-control
What are the most effective pest control products?
Most of the pest control products available over the counter contain the same active ingredients available that are used by pest control professionals. Yet many homeowners find they don't get the same results and their pest problems persist. Why do professionals get better results? Because they have the training and equipment to apply the right product for the type of pest involved. Often, more than one type of product is needed to resolve a pest infestation. Plus, the professional knows where to look to find where your particular problem pest likes to hide so he can treat those sites directly this getting more consistent results. Also, by hiring a professional, you avoid the need to store pesticides in your home where they could be accidentally accessed by a child or pet.
More is not better
One of the biggest dangers with do-it-yourself pest control products is that sometimes homeowners may disregard the recommended application amounts found on the labels. There can be a“more is better” attitude when it comes to pest control supplies, as some people may believe that doubling the amount used will make the pest problem disappear twice as fast. That is definitely not that case and, in fact, could be dangerous to you and your family.
In addition to sometimes using more over-the-counter pest control product than necessary, some homeowners may combine products, believing that the two together will work more effectively to eliminate a pest problem. In actuality, combining different products can sometimes be extremely dangerous, as some chemicals do not mix well with others. Using pest control products without the proper training and knowledge can have consequences. Professionals from pest control companies know how to properly use them so they will not be harmful to your family.
Results not guaranteed
Although many pest control products offer “money-back guarantees,” you usually have to return the “unused” portion of the product in order to have the purchase price refunded. Often, homeowners use the entire product before they realize that it was not effective, and then are not refunded anything. However, Terminix® pest control services are backed by the Ultimate Protection® Guarantee, the strongest guarantee in the business, which includes:
- A custom plan to help get pests out and keep them out
- Solutions within 24 hours
- Work continued until you’re satisfied
- 100% satisfaction or your money back*
Before choosing a do-it-yourself pest control product, visit Terminix.com or call us at 1.866.766.7628 to schedule a FREE Pest Evaluation.
Best pest control service | prevent pests from getting in my home
People often seek the expertise of a pest control service once they find an infestation of pests, but few homeowners realize the best time to enlist pest control services is before those pests get in the house. Although there are ways for homeowners to reduce the likelihood of encountering common household pests, only a guaranteed service from a pest control company can give you the peace of mind that comes with knowing that your most important investment—your home—is fully protected against pest invasions.
There are many common household pests that can enter your home and cause damage in a variety of ways. There are some natural pest control tips that homeowners can use to minimize their risk of an infestation from these invaders, but a pest control service can often identify more ways that pests could enter your home. Some common pest control suggestions include:
- Ants – There are many species of ants, and each species has different habits and feeding processes. Keeping food sealed and crumbs wiped up may reduce the chance that ants will contaminate food items, but it will not eliminate the problem. Reducing the potential sites where ants could nest on your property is helpful—heavy ground cover, like ivy, piles of bricks, flagstones, lumber, etc. Sealing exterior cracks and holes in your home’s foundation is also helpful in limiting the number of ants seen inside. Ant baits are successful on some types of ants, but not on others. Therefore, ants are pests that require the expertise of professional pest control services that can recommend ways to keep ants from entering your home, and can treat any infestations to ensure they do not return.
- Fabric and pantry pests – Many different types of beetles can infest your home. Carpet or cabinet beetles feed on woolen items as well as dead insects, pet and human hair trapped in carpets and food items in pantries. They are very difficult to control, so it’s recommended that you consult a pest management professional. Some preventative measures include vacuuming regularly and keeping food stored in air-tight containers. Flour beetles or saw toothed grain beetles often infest your pantry in the summer and get inside your home inside dog food or dog biscuits. Throw out any infested food and store all food, including pet food, in plastic or glass containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Cockroaches – Even clean homes can become infested with cockroaches. They need as little as 1/16th of an inch opening to enter your home, and if you see one cockroach in your home, then there may actually be dozens more you don’t see. Most cockroaches can live up to several weeks without food and up to a week without water. Natural pest control for these insects includes ensuring your attic and crawl spaces have enough ventilation and try to seal as many exterior cracks and holes as possible on the outside of your home.
- Spiders – Seal all cracks around windows and doorframes, around light fixtures, vents, ceiling fans, around pipes under the sink, and behind appliances to reduce the chance that spiders will enter your home. Although most spiders are harmless, some, such as the black widow and brown recluse, can pose a threat to you and your family. Pest control plans that cover black widow spiders and brown recluse spiders might be offered only in specific areas and can require an additional inspection and/or charges.
Although these tips will help protect your home from common household pests, a pest control service can find the areas where your home may be most vulnerable and make recommendations to correct the problem. Terminix® offers pest control services that are backed by their Ultimate Protection® Guarantee, the strongest guarantee in the business. Visit us online at Terminix.com or call 1.866.766.7628 to get a FREE Pest Evaluation and learn more about the pest control services offered by Terminix.
Why should I hire a pest control company?Given the wide variety of pests that pose a threat to any family and home, homeowners often consider hiring a pest control company to help protect their most valuable investment. True, there is an array of home pest control products available, but homeowners soon discover that pest control is a task they cannot effectively handle on their own. That’s why you should rely instead on the skills and expertise of professionals to protect your home and family.
Identification and diagnosisMuch like your family doctor can give you advice for preventing illness and keeping your body healthy, a pest control company can identify not only the specific types of pests that could potentially infest your home, but also the best methods for protecting your home from an infestation. Without knowing what pests pose a threat to your home, you might take a course of action that is unnecessary. Furthermore, using pesticides or other agents without proper knowledge could be potentially hazardous to your family.
An ounce of preventionAs the old saying goes, “an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.” The safest, most natural solution for pest control is being proactive in protecting your home from pests. Ants can contaminate food, and cockroaches only need as little as 1/16th of an inch to squeeze into even the cleanest of homes and buildings. And if you see one, there could be hundreds more lurking behind your walls. Relying on a quality pest control company is an effective way to protect your home from these types of pests. A pest service professional, like the highly-trained technicians at Terminix® can inspect your property and provide a list of recommendations for correcting conditions that contribute to pest infestations. The technician can suggest a course of action. For example, your firewood pile may need to be moved away from your home. There may be cracks around the windows and doors that need to be sealed. Or, you might not be aware that the screen on your foundation vent is missing or damaged, which could permit mice to enter. Making recommended modifications will help prevent new infestations.
Guaranteed resultsDo-it-yourself pest control offers no guarantees. Homeowners often spend significant amounts of money on DIY pest control products. When these products fail to work effectively, the homeowner is left with the expense of the product as well as the cost of the repairs for damage caused by the pests. Terminix pest control takes a proactive approach against 27 of the most common types of pests by creating a perimeter around your home to help keep them out; should you discover an infestation, Terminix will provide you with a solution within 24 hours. And only Terminix offers the Ultimate Protection® Guarantee. When you need protection from pests, you can rest easy knowing you’re covered by the strongest guarantee in the business, plus 100% satisfaction or your money back*.
What is the best method of natural pest control?
Because a home is one of the most valuable investments people make in their lifetime, many homeowners seek natural pest control techniques to protect their residence from common household pests. Many pests are a nuisance and a threat to your home and family, and often require a pest control service to guard your home against an invasion. However, there are steps you can take as a homeowner to reduce your risk of pest infestations.
Natural pest control for ants and cockroaches
Ants are more than a nuisance; they contaminate food, damage property, and many types of ants bite. Most homeowners notice ants in their home during the spring when the pests are seeking food. Cockroaches, on the other hand, infest homes at any time of the year. Cockroaches need as little as 1/16th of an inch to squeeze into even the cleanest of homes and buildings. And if you see one, there could be hundreds more lurking behind your walls. For each of these common household pests, natural pest control methods are very similar:
- Keep food sealed and stored properly, especially in the kitchen
- Clean kitchens daily to avoid build-up of crumbs, spills and food
- Dispose of garbage regularly and store in sealed containers whenever possible
- Seal cracks and holes in walls; be sure to include entry points for utilities and plumbing
- Keep basements and crawl spaces dry and well ventilated
Even the cleanest of homes can be at risk of an infestation of cockroaches and ants. Using a professional pest control service will help protect your home from such infestations. Terminix® offers a Pest Control Plan that provides protection against some of the worst of these pests.
Natural pest control techniques for bed bugs
Since the late 1990s, bed bugs have come back strongly and infestations have been found across the country. Factors such as increased international travel and immigration have likely contributed to the rapid spread of infestations. Signs of bed bugs include bite symptoms, small brown (fecal) spots on bedding and small blood smears on sheets. Small translucent bed bug eggs may be found in tucks and folds of the mattress and box spring, behind headboards and along baseboards. Natural pest control for bed bugs includes:
- Upon arriving home from travel, keep your suitcase in the garage until you have time to inspect it and your belongings. Launder clothes immediately after removal from the suitcase
- Consider storing your suitcase(s) in the garage or basement instead of bedrooms or closets in the event there may be bed bugs or eggs that you miss with your inspection
- Avoid picking up used furniture and items left on the curb
- Don’t store things under beds
- Consider using fitted bed bug-proof encasements for your mattress and box springs (although encasements do not prevent bed bugs, they make infestations easier to detect)
Bed bugs are notoriously difficult to control and eliminate. You should work with only recognized, reputable pest control professionals like Terminix, who have specific training and proven methods for dealing with bed bugs. When it comes to an effective pest control service for bed bugs, you can trust Terminix to use the most up-to-date techniques and products to solve the problem.
Natural pest control techniques for termites
Termites cause more than $5 billion in property damage every year, and most homeowners insurance does not cover the costs of damage repairs. The best natural pest control for termites is protection; once termites are discovered, professional pest control services are necessary to rid your home of termites. Tips for preventing a termite infestation include:
- Termites need moisture to survive, so it is important to repair roof and plumbing leaks as quickly as possible
- Seal cracks in foundations, garage floors and other areas where termites could gain access to your home. A termite only needs 1/32nd of an inch to enter your home
- Keep mulch away from the wooden structures of your home
- Avoid storing firewood or lumber against your home
- Eliminate any areas where wooden portions of your home come in contact with the soil, such as under doors and windowsills
Although natural pest control is a good way to minimize your risk of pest invasions, the best way to protect your home is by relying on a professional pest control service company like Terminix. The knowledgeable and experienced technicians at Terminix can recommend natural pest control methods and offer solutions that will help you reduce your risk and protect your home. In addition, they offer safe, effective pest control products and solutions, and guarantees that surpass any other pest control company in the business. For more information, visit Terminix at Terminix.com or call 1.866.766.7628 today.
What to look for in pest control companies
When it comes to pest control companies, it’s important to choose a partner you can trust to help protect your biggest investment—your home. While there may be a variety of options for pest control, it’s important to note that pest control companies offer different types of services. Pest control companies should provide solutions and tools that make pest control easy so you have one less thing to worry about, and there are a variety of other factors to consider as well when selecting a partner to protect your home.
Experience in pest control
Knowledgeable. Experienced. Trustworthy. Passionate. Pest control companies with those characteristics, ones that come from years of work in pest control, will result in reliable protection of your home. Since 1927, Terminix® has set industry standards among pest control companies. And they continue to lead the industry with innovative solutions designed to keep pests where they belong—outside of your home.
Knowledge and expertise
Not all pest control companies have the knowledge and expertise to provide the best pest control solutions. Terminix employs around 40 specialists (including more than 20 certified entomologists and four PhD entomologists) with more than 1,100 years of industry experience between them.
Pest control services with a guarantee
It’s important to choose a pest control company that offers a wide range of services, and with a singular goal in mind: to protect your home and family from pests. Pest control companies that guarantee their services and ensure the satisfaction of their customers will give any homeowner peace of mind when it comes to protecting their home. Whether you're facing termites, pests or another threat, Terminix is dedicated to making sure your house and family have the best possible protection. Guaranteed. The Ultimate Protection® Guarantee is the strongest guarantee in the business, and it’s only available from Terminix.
When you select Terminix as your pest control company and sign up for the Terminix Pest Control Plan, you’ll get:
- A custom plan to help get pests out and keep them out
- Solutions within 24 hours
- Work continues until you’re satisfied
- 100% satisfaction or your money back*
Effectively protecting your home means finding a pest control company with the right tools and expertise to keep household pests at bay. Visit Terminix.com or call 1.866.766.7628 to learn more about pest control solutions and the Terminix Ultimate Protection Guarantee.
Pest control | stop pests from invading your home
If you’re a homeowner, pest control is an important part of protecting the health of your home. Pests of any kind are at best a nuisance, and at worst a threat to your home and family. Learning how to keep them from invading your home will give you peace of mind, knowing that your home and family are protected.
Tips for pest control
There are some effective and easy ways to help keep household pests from affecting your home.
- Seal cracks in the exterior of your home to keep pests out
- Properly fit doors and windows with screens and weather stripping, and use mesh screens on ventilation openings for attics and crawl spaces
- Properly ventilate your attic to make it inhospitable to roaches and other pests. This can also help improve your home’s energy efficiency
- Never leave uncovered food sitting out, including pet food, as it can attract pests
- Store clothing in plastic bags or pouches to protect it from pests that damage fabric
- Keep debris from piling up around your house. Stones, bricks, and even firewood can serve as a haven for rodents and other pests
Tips for termite control
There are also other pest control tips specifically for termites that will help protect you against the damage they can cause.
- Repair leaks quickly, to deprive termites of a water supply. As with most living things, termites generally cannot survive without water, so by fixing roof and plumbing leaks immediately you’ll make it harder for them to survive
- Keep firewood and wood debris away from your house, and eliminate any wood-to-soil contact around your foundation
- Make it harder for termites to enter your home through your siding by keeping mulch and soil away from it
- Prevent easy access for drywood termites by sealing nail holes and cracks in exposed wood
While these tips are a great complement to professional pest control, they are not intended to replace the services of an expert. Your home is your biggest investment, and effectively protecting it requires the services of someone trained and knowledgeable, who has the right tools and expertise to keep household pests at bay. Whether you already have a problem, or you want to prevent problems from occurring, the experts at Terminix can help, with a FREE Pest Evaluation, customized pest control plan and Ultimate Protection Guarantee, the strongest guarantee in the business. To learn more about how Terminix can help you, or to get your FREE Pest Evaluation, visit Terminix.com or call 1. 866.766.7628 today.
on Sunday, May 05, 2013 by TerminixIf you’re a homeowner, pest control is an important part of protecting the health of your home. Pests of any kind are at best a nuisance, and at worst a threat to your home and family. Learning how to keep them from invading your home will give you peace of mind, knowing that your home and family are protected. Read more
The Ultimate Protection® Guarantee
Only Terminix offers Ultimate Protection®. So whether you need protection from pests or termites, you can rest easy knowing you’re covered by the strongest guarantee in the business, plus 100% satisfaction or your money back*.