Bed bug control | how to identify bed bugs
on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 by Terminix
Identifying and eliminating bed bugs can be quite a challenge. They are about the size of an apple seed when they are adults, and they are reddish brown, oval and very flat. They move quickly and hide during the day in small cracks and crevices. If they’re in your home, you’ll want to find them as quickly as possible because bed bugs feed on the blood of people and pets at night.
Bed bug control begins with you
As difficult as it may be to spot bed bugs, there are steps you can take to avoid them:
- Inspect accommodations at resorts, motels, hotels, hostels, rental cabins and dorms before your stay. Look for bed bugs between the headboard and wall, along mattress seams and in bedside furniture. When you’re staying in such accommodations, place and store your luggage off the floor; you don’t want bed bugs to make your luggage a temporary home.
- Do not purchase secondhand furniture without inspecting it for bed bugs and avoid used mattresses.
- Inquire whether rental units have had issues with bed bugs in the past before signing a lease.
Look for signs of bed bugs
Bed bug control includes actively looking for the pests under mattress buttons, along mattress seams, the crevices where bed frames fit into the headboard and footboard, and elsewhere. Take apart bedside furniture and examine it thoroughly, and look behind pictures on the wall near the bed. Bed bugs seldom stray far from where you sleep. Even if you don’t spot them immediately, there are some telltale signs you could be facing a bed bug infestation:
- Watch for bed bug bites on your body. They are often in a linear row where one bug has fed multiple times. Take complaints of bed bug bites from your partner, spouse or children seriously, as you might be a victim with no outward symptoms. Also, understand that reactions to other pests such as fleas and mosquitoes resemble those caused by bed bugs.
- Look for brownish stains on bedding, along mattress seams and elsewhere. This is potentially bed bug excrement.
- Large populations of bed bugs produce a unique sweet odor most easily detected when re-entering a room or home after an extended absence.
Terminix® can help
Terminix® is your best bet for bed bug control. Their trained technicians are experienced in controlling bed bugs. Terminix offers bed bug treatment for existing problems, and a Bed Bug Guarantee to let you, your family and pets sleep easy with the comfort of knowing that your home is bed bug-free. Schedule your FREE Bed Bug Inspection at Terminix.com, or call 1.866.766.7628 today.
The Ultimate Protection® Guarantee
Only Terminix offers Ultimate Protection®. So whether you need protection from pests or termites, you can rest easy knowing you’re covered by the strongest guarantee in the business, plus 100% satisfaction or your money back*.